Five easy ways to identify scammers. When improving your website
Five easy ways to identify scammers. When improving your website. HR outsourcing is becoming more and more popular in Europe. According to the RAEX agency, this market grew by 12% in 2019. The number of candidates is increasing, and you need to be able to choose the right ones. This article has collected tips on how to get around unscrupulous contractors.
When a project has individual tasks. The site needs new functionality. It is called solution revisions. You can accomplish tasks on your own. If the competencies and resources are not enough, you can order services from a web studio or freelancer. Let us look at the advantages and disadvantages of such contractors.
- Difficulties in finding a contractor.
- What is the difference between a freelancer and a studio?
- Check a freelancer?
- How to check the studio?
- How to avoid mistakes when choosing a contractor and not get caught by scammers?
Difficulties in finding a contractor
Different stories and situations happen in life. When a revision is required on the site, everything depends on the resources of the customer or the capabilities of the contractor. Therefore, a hard choice awaits you.
- If you need to do it quickly, your wallet will suffer, and there will be a large number of unaccounted for nuances in work. It remains to be seen at what point everything will go wrong.
- If you need to do it efficiently – most likely, it will be a lengthy and quite costly event. They will do a research, prepare a technical specification, draw a design and make layout and assembly according to the technical specification, request many materials for filling. However, the customer’s resources may not be enough to cover all costs.
- If finances are limited, you will have to do part of the work yourself and give part to the contractor. It will come out cheaper, but it will take longer.
What is the difference between a freelancer and a web studio?
Any performer has advantages and disadvantages. We will cover the main points to reveal the problem of selecting a contractor from different angles.
Now we have an idea of the difficulties in choosing a contractor. It is worth thinking about the security of an online project and resources. We have prepared five ways to expose fraudsters. Remember the main points from this article to save your resources in the future.
Check a freelancer?
Labour exchanges. Freelancers have a fixed price per hour of work or a specific service. Clients can leave reviews about them, and the exchange itself forms a rating of the most experienced and in-demand specialists. Study the detailed information on the sites where freelancers offer services.
Recommendations, blog discussions and feedback. In order for a specialist to have a constant stream of customers, he promotes himself. Find out from him who he often works with and where he posts his offers. There are two options – if there are no such places and no one discusses him, he is a beginner or hides information about himself. Situations vary, and there may be exceptions. If a specialist does not hide anything, he will calmly give links to resources or prompt people who will recommend him. This is entirely normal – ask for feedback.
Portfolio or sites with published work. A newbie for improvements should not be taken for a commercial site. Look for an experienced professional. You can ask him for a link to a portfolio of sites with implemented improvements. You can always ask the owners of online projects for feedback to make sure of the competencies of a freelancer.
Check the studio?
City maps and catalogues. If a company exists, it will not miss the opportunity for additional traffic from sites: 2GIS, Google, Yandex and others. Also, the maps and catalogues have a “Reviews” section, where customers can describe the advantages and disadvantages of the company.
Ratings and marketplaces. These are specialized platforms where people from the same industry with similar interests gather. The situation with real reviews is similar to maps and catalogues. It is difficult to fake reviews here, as site managers strictly moderate them. They usually contain examples of completed projects and a description of the company’s services.
The site of the agency or developer itself. Several blocks are used to present their services: customer reviews, team, portfolio, or completed projects. All this is also freely available.
Services for checking contractors. Make sure of the real activity of the contractor – check the organization by TIN. Use services from market leaders and large companies for this. It can be Sberbank, SBIS, Kontur. Fokus, Federal Tax Service and others. You can check the partner company by the name of the head, TIN, PSRN, OGRNP, place of registration and other data. Such a check will help avoid cooperation with scammers, save finances and maintain a good reputation for the Federal Tax Service.
- Data to pay attention to when checking by TIN:
- lack of courts;
- availability of profit;
- the presence of employees in the state;
- the presence of history.
Avoid mistakes when choosing a contractor and not get caught by scammers?
1. Checking publicly available information and contacts with the organization
- Availability of the site and employees in the section “About the company”.
- Corporate mail with a domain.
- Possibility of telephone communication through a corporate number.
- Answers in online chats on the company’s website.
- The possibility of a personal meeting in the office.
2. The presence of the company and its activities
- I am checking the company’s activities at unique sites and services.
- Availability of reviews on external resources.
3. Checking the availability of clients and the actual work of the contractor
- Links to portfolios or sites with works.
- Availability of examples of improvements with an indication of clients and their contacts.
- Availability of certificates, letters of thanks and reviews on company letterheads.
4. Pay attention to the signs of fraudsters
- More than five organizations are registered in the name of the head.
- Address of mass registration of companies.
- A company established less than half a year ago.
- Lack of a corporate phone number, mail, names of managers or key employees of the company.
- Lack of information about the company in the Federal Tax Service.
- Availability of ships.
- Presence in blacklists of employers and massive negative reviews of job seekers.
5. Verification of received documents
- Powers of attorney, contracts, invoices and closing documents.
- The authenticity of the seal.
- The presence of real details.
Always check the contractor before starting cooperation and discussing the details of the work. Talk about guarantees, results, and emergency support. Compare 2-3 contractors with each other to objectively estimate labour costs for rework.
Read my article on How to write a resume for digital work