How to write a resume for digital work
How to collect and write a resume so that employers will notice you.
You completed the course, gained the necessary skills, and made a portfolio. The moment of truth has come: it is time to look for projects. When all vacancies are publicly available – on worksites, telegram channels, and Facebook communities – HR specialists are inundated with many responses. Your goal is to grab the employer’s attention, impress, detach from a dozen or even hundreds of competitors.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to write a resume to get noticed.
Writing a cover letter
The cover letter is the same outfit that you will be greeted with. It helps HR to cut off people who will not be suitable for the job early. It is essential to present yourself in a way that makes your resume want to open.
Tell us about yourself in several succinct sentences. Specify how you can help someone looking for an SMM specialist, and how you differ from similar professionals. Show your value to the company. You should not write that you love football or swimming in the pool. It is better to add links to a couple of cases to show your competence.
It is advisable to talk about how much time you spend on one project, give the minimum prices for different work, and describe the conditions under which you work.
We make a resume
Now let us start creating a resume. The finished document should resemble a commercial offer – you advertise your services to the customer so that he cannot refuse. Therefore, it is worth taking into account the standard wishes and immediately showing professionalism.
Keep in mind that HRs (substantial companies) review dozens of job seekers’ resumes every day. However, the fact is that most of them do not even open. There is only one reason: the applicant did not bother to fulfil the basic requirements for the resume design.
To write your resume competently, google quality samples or references—for example, CV examples written by professional HR professionals.
It is essential to carefully read the vacancy text and write a resume, starting with the customer’s requirements. In the vacancy, he can indicate wishes for filling the resume, its design. If you do them, you will at least be noted for your attentiveness to the employer’s requests – this is a big plus.
Before creating a resume, study the company’s website or examples of work ordered by the employer. If you are looking for work, not for one project, but you need to immediately understand with whom you will work for a long time.
After examining the site, you can immediately show the customer your skills and professional value: suggest improving the site or the works presented and diversifying them. Of course, you will spend more time studying the vacancy. However, immediately show the seriousness of your intentions.
Think about what specifically you can do for the company. For example, in addition to an SMM specialist’s skills, you will work with semantics, write texts for the website or posts for social networks, and launch native advertising campaigns. These are additional benefits worth mentioning.
We make a resume
After collecting the information, start creating your resume.
What you need to insert in your resume:
- Information about you. Indicate gender, age, marital status, and contacts.
- Position or project. One company can simultaneously search for several specialists, for example, a copywriter and an SMM specialist, so clearly indicate what exactly you will be doing. It will avoid misunderstandings.
- Education. List university (college), study programs, or courses.
- Skills as a specialist. List what is useful to the employer. Otherwise, your resume or profile will be weeded out. Do not fool the recruiter or the customer even about the little things. If you are not distinguished by punctuality, do not write about it.
- Work experience. Provide links to projects you worked on. Also, be sure to attach case studies or the name, phone numbers (postal details, website) of the company. It can be useful if the employer wants to ask a previous customer for feedback on your work.
- Additional skills or information. Focus on an ad or vacancy. If the employer has asked for additional information, do not ignore this requirement. It can be ownership of specific software, platforms, the ability to work in the site admin panel.
What you do not need to write on your resume
Write and shorten, shorten, and write – this is the main rule of creating a quality resume. Eliminate everything unnecessary and irrelevant to the job.
What not to include in your resume:
- Qualities not related to work
- Achievements not related to this position
- Mention love for animals or children (if not required for work)
- That you do the job cheaply, practically free of charge: low cost of work is not the best “hook.” The employer may think that you are a beginner or provide a low-quality service
- Marital status is also not worth “inflating”: yes/no – that is all.
It will allow you to avoid stupid mistakes and a web of text – and your resume will be one of the few that will not annoy the customer.
Volume. It is advisable to place the document on one page. The resume constructor has a division into several columns so that everything you need fits without problems. Do not make a multi-page resume. No one will look through it to the end. Aim for the HR to read necessary information about you in 15–20 seconds.
Composition. Do not typeset your resume in reliable text: use columns, bulleted lists, blocks to make the information easy to read.
A photo. Photography often sets the tone for communication and the resume in general. The right photo adds credibility, but it should be a business portrait. If you put a photo from the beach or with a guitar by the fire, the customer will not appreciate the humor.
Ake a photo, especially for a full-length or half-turn resume. 60% of the photo should be faced. If necessary, edit the picture in Photoshop. You can remove excess shine, even out the skin, and improve the background.
Constructors. A simplified version for those who are not friendly with graphic editors is constructors. Templates in resume builders tend to be balanced and well put together. You will not need to bother with the layout. Here all the blocks, columns, and lists are in their place – type in information about yourself and add a photo. An essential plus of the designers is that the resume can be stored, edited, and supplemented in the cloud. The customer needs to drop the link.
However, when using constructors, be careful: do not take the most popular templates, customize them for yourself, and try to fit all the information that the employer needs. If you send a standard resume, the client may think you have not paid enough attention to his vacancy. Get some creativity.
To summarize, to find a job:
- Get ready to write – look at examples of high-quality resumes and try to create your own;
- Come up with your own “hooks” on which you can catch the employer – additional skills, suggestions;
- Write a cover letter: in it, explain in more detail why you are suitable for this position and provide examples of work;
- Make a thoughtful design – do not think that your resume will be looked at only because of experience (you still need to read it). We do not recommend doing it in Word or with “lipstick on your knee.” Use the constructors, compiled by experienced HRs. In them, you need to select a template and enter your information.
Read my Article on: How to automate communication with clients: one medium and 3 cases